Application Materials & Process
- Will teach mathematics grades 7-12 in a high-need public or charter school in the greater Los Angeles area by the fellowship start date.
- Have at least five years of mathematics teaching experience.
- Would not be receiving other funding from Math for America during the five-year period of the Master Teacher Fellowship.
- Have completed a substantial amount of coursework in mathematics in undergraduate or graduate school (a total of at least 18 credits or 6 courses of post-calculus mathematics or related courses).
- Hold state teaching certification and spend at least 65 percent of the time teaching mathematics courses.
- Demonstrate high content knowledge and a love of mathematics or science, exemplary teaching and leadership skills.c
- Enjoy mentoring and collaborating with colleagues.
Because of restrictions from our the funding agencies for this program, candidates that have master's degrees in education, mathematics or a mathematics-related field will be giving priority over candidates that do not. For example, pairs of teachers who both have master's degrees will be given priority over pairs of teachers for which only one person has a master's degree. Pairs of teachers who both lack master's degrees will have lowest priority for funding.
- By January 23, 2015, each applicant submits a completed application form by email to email@example.com and mails a hard copy (postmarked by January 23, 2015 is ok) to the MƒA LA office (address at the bottom of this page). This application form must be accompanied by a resume, personal statement, sample lesson plan, list of math courses taken and your project proposal.
- Arrange to have three letters of recommendation mailed to our office (address at the bottom of this page) or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23, 2015. At least one of these letters must be from a current principal, supervisor or coach.
- Arrange to have official transcripts for all post-secondary coursework mailed to the MƒA LA office (address at the bottom of this page) or emailed to email@example.com by January 23, 2015.
- Each applicant will submit scores from ETS Praxis II Math Content Exam 5161. A reimbursement for test fees is available. This is a computer-delivered test. Praxis scores for 0061 and 0063 (or 5161) taken within the last five years will be accepted. We strongly encourage applicants to take the exam on or prior to January 24, 2015, as a final decision regarding acceptance into the program cannot be made without receipt of the rest results.
- All finalists will be interviewed during the last two weeks of February.
- By March 15, 2015, each pair of applicants will obtain a letter of support from a school administrator and mail to the MƒA LA office (address at the bottom of this page). The letter should indicate that each Fellows' salary will not be affected by the annual stipend, that the school is in support of the Fellows' proposed improvements and that the school agrees to work with MƒA LA to coordinate course reductions for each Fellow.
The deadline for applications is January 23, 2015.